Monday, May 27, 2013

Writing Strong Women Characters

I found a link through the Women's Fiction Writers Association loops this week that I wanted, no needed, to share with you all.

Kameron Hurley takes on the usual stereotypes of women characters as mothers, sisters, daughters, and victims in a what that is beyond amazing. I do hope you enjoy this link.

We Have Always Fought

On the renovation front, the kitchen is nearly done. I'll be thrilled and delighted. I'm happy to say that I've gotten back to work this week on FRIENDLY FIRE after the busy lull of April and May. Cross your fingers that I can find the work ethic I had in January, February, and March... ; )

(The cherry trees have small ripened cherries among the leaves now. The birds love them, but they are only about a quarter inch in diameter. The focal image is of edible cherries in honor of them. ; )

12 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your renovations are moving along, and that you're making progress on Friendly Fire!

    Now I'm off to check out your link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, when I was discussing this very thing with someone the other day. Seeing as I happen to have one of those woman characters.

    The way I see it, she's not a victim, she's a survivor. I don't need to show her on her knees, that's what not what the literature demands and it's not what the audience needs to see. We already know she's fallen from the first sentence. The story I want to tell is how she rises. I think those are the stories we need. Take these characters and show the world how tall they can stand.

    It's not about portraying a victim. A victim is the person who gets hurt and goes down and suffers. A survivor is one who stands right backs up and socks her problems in the nose. I know which one I want to read about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cody,
      You're preaching to the choir! I want to see them rise to new heights as they realize *they* define their track not the people who knocked them down. Keep on writing, I'll keep reading.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Read it and enjoyed it. It's true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo! You're a survivor, too. You keep on rising. Go, Jo, Go!

      Delete
  4. How exciting that you almost have your new kitchen! I hope you post pics when you're done. I'm glad you're getting back into writing. I've finally had a good month, after a horrible couple of months. 10K in the last two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Sara! That's fantastic!

      Pictures are on the way...if we finish the last touches any time soon. ; ) I painted the last coats on a set of frames today and did the last wash of the backsplash tile. Maybe we'll have the last trim done this week.

      Delete
  5. I wish we had sunshine and cherry trees! Off to read the link...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of when I read The Women's History of the World. Gets me mad, sometimes, especially when the default white male thinks you're simply exaggerating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but we aren't exaggerating at all and that's what makes me mad. I guess that's part of my reason for writing strong women characters.

      Delete

To use Facebook or Twitter sign in, select Name/URL. Add your name and the URL of your homepage for Facebook or Twitter...and comment. Thanks for coming by!