Monday, October 1, 2012

When It's All Said And Done...

No, I'm not done with a rough draft, but the study is nearly back together and I'm back at the computer. And it struck me how like writing house renovation is.

We have the first big project completed--new sub flooring, new carpet, and the trim painted--but we aren't done.There's still a door or two to paint, nicks to be touched up, and putting all the clothes and furniture back in place. But you can tell what we aimed to do this go around is done. Not to mention the fact that we want to continue with new flooring in the dining room. Ultimately we want to paint the bedrooms and gut the kitchen.

Writing is a lot like that. Once we have a rough draft completed, we aren't completely done. There's reading for holes in the story, word choice, consistency, and grammar. Then there's the query, synopsis, and more editing to do.

And even then, when we get a contract, there will be even more edits as our agents and editors speak up.

So, I'm celebrating a partial completion today. The study is usable again and that means I'll be able to get back to writing....At least until my hubby calls on me to hold a door, go get a tool, buy supplies, etc., etc., etc.  ; )

What about you? What interim points do you like to celebrate on this journey of writing?

And now a comic that says the same thing--only better.
Check out Writer Unboxed

10 comments:

  1. I definitely celebrate after finishing a rough draft! My RWA chapter also awards charms based on word count, so it's a nice way to keep the motivation going when I just don't want to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great group to help you push on! I celebrated finishing the two devotionals, but I think when I ever finish a novel, I'll be beside myself. ; )

      Delete
  2. Zan Marie, I make it a point to celebrate every day! When I had my new office painted and more or less complete, when I began writing again, when I nailed a particularly rough scene, when 1 complete the rough draft, when I complete the first edit pass, when I complete the third edit pass- sixth, when I get news I have a royalty check being deposited to my acct, and when I get up every morning...every day is a good one when not six-foot under!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to celebrate actually finishing anything! LOL. Although I did just finish editing/revising chapter one on my WIP and am starting on Chapter 2. I guess that is something... Someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By all means, that's a celebration! Confetti and chocolate for you!!!! ; )

      Delete
  4. And BTW, congratulations! I just finished painting our bathroom (it had paint swatches on the walls for 3 years!), and we replaced the toilet (which took 4 tries, and 3 wax seals, grin). But it's always nice to look at the finished product. Still need to paint the trim, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate toilet repair! It's a pain in the butt. (Pun intended ; )

      So congrats on that, too!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the partial completion!
    I wrote a short story on Monday and thought "I'm sure it's fine."
    Was reading it this morning, and yea... there are so many little bits to fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how we wish things would be ready with the rough draft was done! ; )

      Delete

To use Facebook or Twitter sign in, select Name/URL. Add your name and the URL of your homepage for Facebook or Twitter...and comment. Thanks for coming by!