I think this is one of the hardest lessons of writing. No matter how hard you work, write, edit, and polish, there's another step to go on the long list of to-do's for hunting agents. You need to following:
- log line or pitch--also known as an elevator pitch--no more than fifty words
- short pitch for conference pitches in person--usually about 3 sentences
- synopsis of varying lengths
- outlines as requested (even if you don't write from an outline)
- snips from the manuscript of varying lengths
In the interest of feedback, here's my elevator pitch for MOTHER'S DAY. What do you think? Would you want to read this book?
A retired teacher, childless and recently widowed, defies her narrow-minded family and her small Southern town when she opens her home to an abused twelve-year old, little realizing that the girl is the key to long-buried family secrets.
Next Week: IWSG--I'm back... ;-)