Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Four February Mini Book Reviews: U. Carbone, D. Gabaldon, H. Michael, L. Thompson

{Note to followers: if you want an email when a new post goes up, go the the left column and subscribe for emails. Thanks.}

{Note to followers: if you want an email when a new post goes up, go the the left column and subscribe for emails. Thanks.}

DANCING IN THE WHITE ROOM Ute Carbone: Women's Fiction

Using the ski slopes--both competitive and recreation--Carbone creates a fascinating look into what it means to grow up and take responsibility for your decision. Good Read


A BREATH OF SNOW AND ASHES Diana Gabaldon: Historical Fiction

In the sixth book of Gabaldon's amazing Outlander series, she creates the story of the turmoil leading up to the American Revolution by focusing on the Fraser/McKenzie family and its social setting. Must Read


CROOKED LINES Holly Michael: Christian Literary Women's Fiction

Using a young girl in America and a young man in India, Micheal explores what it means when "Our lives are written in crooked lines and God straightens them." Good Read


WHAT'S LEFT BEHIND Lorrie Thompson: Literary Women's Fiction

By exploring what's left behind after a death, Thompson shows what it means to live our lives fully. Must Read


Next Week: Author Interview with Linda Grimes!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the mini-reviews! There aren't enough hours in the day for me to to put more than a dent in my TBR pile (curse my need for sleep!), so I count on recommendations to help me decide where to bury my nose next. And I agree with you entirely on Diana's ABOSA--definitely a must read. Hmm...maybe even a must reread. It's been a while, and I find something new to enjoy every time I reread one of hers.

    I'm looking forward to my visit here next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rereading is the hobgoblin of finishing the TBR, Linda. ;-) Diana's books are the best for a reread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided I needed to re-read all the Outlander books before I tackle the newest one. I'm currently about halfway through the audiobook version of ABOSAA--I forget just how great these books are when I haven't read them in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a stepson and a son who need some focus right now. Would love for them to read something like Dancing in the White Room or Cheryl Strayed's Wild--something positive about the importance of seizing life by the horns and owning it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lara, I know! That's why I schedule a regular reread of them all. I lack ECHO and MOBY and all the LJG books on this go around. I can't wait.

    Oh, and I'm rereading Clavell's Asian Saga, too. I'm in Shogun at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, any book that allows a reader to experience a bigger world, it's all to the good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, Diana's is the only one of these I've read. More to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, goody, Sara! That's the reaction I love to my little reviews. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's Left Behind sounds familiar. I think it's floating about on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, read it! It's a great read, Deniz!

    ReplyDelete

To use Facebook or Twitter sign in, select Name/URL. Add your name and the URL of your homepage for Facebook or Twitter...and comment. Thanks for coming by!