Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ouch!

"If the artist does not fling himself, without reflecting, into his work, as Curtis flung himself into the yawning gulf, as the soldier flings himself into the enemy's trenches, and if, once in this crater, he does not work like a miner on whom the walls of his gallery have fallen in; if he contemplates difficulties instead of overcoming them one by one...he is simply looking on at the suicide of his own talent." - Honore de Balzac

~~I saw myself in the mirror of this quote a writer buddy shared today. I realize I constantly see only the negatives in my writing. Guess what? That's a great way to reduce your productivity. Then you can get negative about that. ; )

~~So here's to finding ways to look for the positives. What do you do that is good? Did you jot down the good ideas you had today?

8 comments:

  1. Oh! Funny you should say that. I finished a book this morning and on the ride home had only an interview to read, so I had about ten minutes of nothing. Stared off into space and learned something new about Santiago, so I scribbled it all down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Today, even though I was out helping my momma all day, I figured out the third Cherry Hill book's POV and how to show stress on a face--the latter thanks for a TV program. We are doing it right, Deniz.

      Delete
    2. And I pledge I will not tell myself that knowing about the *third* Cherry Hill book is worthless if I never finish the first two. ; )

      Delete
  2. It can't be worthless - I want to read it already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good timing. I just finished my edit and am paranoid that it's all worthless, white bread cliches. I'm going to go to sleep, that usually helps me be positive.

    And I'm discovering things about my third Silkie book. They're all part of a whole and knowing things about the third will only strengthen your first. So keep discovering. Besides, this way we won't have to wait hugely long times in between books WHEN you get them published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To use that old saying--From your lips to God's ears. ; ) You're correct, my new idea really will help with the first two.

      And good for you on your three Silkie books. Go, Sara, Go!

      Delete
  4. Love the image of flinging oneself into one's work. And I agree with old Honore that it's suicide for the work to contemplate the difficulties of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This quote has produced a lot to good work for me today. I'm hoping it continues. ; )

      Delete

To use Facebook or Twitter sign in, select Name/URL. Add your name and the URL of your homepage for Facebook or Twitter...and comment. Thanks for coming by!